Top Things You Need to Survive Fall in Michigan
by Tochi Nwogu
Michigan weather is incredibly indecisive about what season it wants to be – especially between fall and winter. You could be faced with anything from a slight flurry when you walk out of your dorm room at 8:00 a.m. to a heat wave when you make that walk back to your room. There are some essentials things to have in order to stay ahead of the weather and beat it at its own game.
1. Layers. It is best to leave your room either wearing a sweater/jacket or have one packed in your bag. Another option is to wear flannels. They are very comfortable and can be worn in so many ways. In colder weather, button them up or for warmer days tie them around your waist. You can also pack a pair of athletic shorts to change into if it becomes too hot for jeans.
2. Scarves. Great for layering, and can switch up any outfit. They can add a little warmth on a chilly day or a vibrant color to a plain t-shirt and jeans look.
3. Invest in rain boots. Rain will come out of nowhere. It is a fact. If you really want to keep your feet dry, rain boots are a Michigan must-have. They keep your feet free from water and also keep them warm during the colder months with the help of some thick socks. You can get them from somewhere as simple as Target to as nice as Hunter.
4. Never forget your umbrella. I recommend always checking the weather forecast at the start of your day and permanently leaving your umbrella or foldable raincoat in your backpack. This will leave you always prepared for a surprise shower.
5. Sunscreen. Don’t skip on the sunscreen ever. If the rest of your body is bundled up, use sunscreen on your face and hands no matter the season to protect yourself. Even on overcast days – clouds can magnify UV rays, resulting in a greater risk of sunburn than on a sunny day.
6. Fuzzy blanket. We all need something warm enough for those fall nights!
7. Boots/booties are a must-have. From short to tall, heel to no heel, leather to suede, there are a lot of styles to choose from. They will also keep your toes nice and toasty as on those chilly evenings.
Between winter, summer spring and fall…fall is ideally the best. Despite the volatility of the weather, Michigan is beautiful in the fall. Now, make sure you have all the things you need and you should be comfortable on campus.