Thursday, July 24, 2014

Classroom Experience

One conspicuous characteristic of the American classroom that I’ve come to acknowledge during my two terms at the U-M is the wide scope of freedom is given to students in the classroom. As an example, students commonly eat their breakfast and lunch during lectures. In South Korea where I received most of my education, students are not allowed to bring food except drinks in their classes. It is not because anyone says students shouldn’t but because it is a considered to be a courtesy towards instructors. However, here I have seen many students eating meals in classrooms. One day, I saw a girl eating a pack of blueberries, yoghurt and some bread for breakfast. My classmates also commonly brought sandwiches, burgers and salads for lunch. Although it was really awkward to start bringing my food into the classroom, I soon felt very comfortable and enjoyed the new freedom given to me as others.

However, not all freedoms in the classroom made me comfortable as previously mentioned. I had a hard time adjusting to the style of classroom interaction. In U.S., students are encouraged to participate in teaching and learning. Even in the lecture setting, numerous discussions and questions were frequently raised. Challenging professors with students’ own beliefs and ideas was common as well. However, since I was raised in a culture where professors have authority in knowledge and students are encouraged to listen, I felt insecure speaking out during this type of classroom interaction. I was afraid of being judged by professors that I am not interested in learning and have not given much thought on topics. Although I was eager to participate in discussions, the first term was extremely difficult due to following factors: First, my low level of my academic English made it difficult not only to understand what was going on but also to express my ideas logically. Next, the pace of discussion was really fast and so many students were talking, sometimes on unrelated tangents, so I did not know when to jump in and say something. In addition, I was afraid that my ideas are not culturally inappropriate in the U.S. context. I was often frustrated with my lack of participation in the first term.

As a last attempt, I decided to talk with professors and share my concerns, which was actually one of the best decisions I made. One professor who used to believe that Asian students are only too shy to participate came to understand me and other Asian students better. With her assistance in the classroom, I had more chances to speak up and slowly built up my confidence. After the painful first term experience, my second term became much better. With an improved language ability and cultural knowledge, I felt much more comfortable in sharing my insights in the classroom. Therefore, my advice for new students who may experience cultural differences in the classroom is: Do not suffer alone and feel free to seek help! Most professors at the UM are open to assist you to adjust better in the classroom.

Written by Ashley Kwon 
Summer Orientation Peer Adviser from South Korea & U.S. A.
Master in Higher Education 

No comments:

Post a Comment