Monday, August 4, 2014

Campus and Community Resources

Fortunately, with a school the size of Michigan, there are countless number of on-campus resources that are available to support you, often at no additional cost to you! For instance, you probably know the International Center by now and how it can assist you.

For me, one of my biggest challenges is developing a new friendship group after arriving in the U.S. The residence hall is a great place to make friends! If you live on campus, you will meet your resident advisor soon after moving into your residence hall. They will serve as an invaluable resource to you whether by answering your questions or by putting on events so you can get to know the people in your residence hall. I made solid friends by attending the first community dinner my RA hosted and the fun events they hosted throughout the year.

In addition, exams can be very stressful since many tend to occur during the same week. If you ever feel down, stressed or overwhelmed. Don’t hesitate to pay a visit to the Counselling and Psychological Services a visit at the Michigan Union! They have trained counselors when can meet with you right away if needed. When I felt stressed the first time I had exams, I visited CAPS and got a free chair massage in their Wellness Zone. I felt really relaxed afterwards. In addition to massage chairs, they also offer yoga, meditation, Xbox Kinect and more! Give it a try!

Also, right next to CAPS is the Dean of Students office. Their office is here  to support you through tough and stressful situations and help you get on track with your studies. For instance, their office can send out an email to all your professors asking them to accommodate you academically if you are facing a hardship that is interfering with your academics.

As a freshmen, I often forgot to stay active due to the hustle and bustle of college life. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the many wellness resources my first year. I knew about University Health Services. It’s like a smaller hospital that serves only U-M students. But it was not until sophomore year did I step foot into one of the three campus recreational centers. These centers are great places for those who are serious about body-building and also for those who are simply looking to stay fit and active like myself. If you are interested, the University also offers a variety of fitness classes through a program called  U-Move. You can choose a particular class from a list of over 40 classes or get a semester pass and attend any class you would like for a whole semester. I had a semester pass my sophomore year and went to a variety of classes including kickboxing, zumba, hip hop...

Like I said, most of these services require no additional cost. You already paid by paying tuition, so it’s not a bad idea to get your money’s worth by utilizing them!

Written by Josh Qian
Summer Orientation Peer Adviser from China 
Bachelor: Industrial and Operations Engineering

No comments:

Post a Comment