Monday, August 17, 2020

My Experience in Learning the Magic of Self-Soothing


Lie down on the floor and play "Snow Angel" in this hot summer. This is exactly what I must do every time before the 2020 summer Peer to Peer sessions. You may feel confused about why did that, or was that something we as student peer advisors must have to do before the meeting, something like a magical passcode? 


50% correct! That was my passcode to be ready to see all of you! When I am faced with difficulties/ uncertainties/ challenges, I will be stressed and lose my mind. So that's the reason why I did the 'Snow Angel' before the live presentation. I admit that I may look odd, but it's a good way for helping me let the stress out. It sounds fun, doesn't it? However, when I recall my self-soothing progress, it took me a long time to find some fun and healthy way. 


At the very beginning, I relied on comfort food a lot. We know that these types of food such as cookies/cakes/ice cream contain high calories. Certainly, eating comfort food could make me happy temporarily, while it also brings love handles. After 'enjoying' my love handles for a while, I realized that it caused worse health. Initially, I wanted to relieve myself, while it results in another problem.


Luckily, I got one self-soothe guidance one day. A magic brochure that guides me to care about myself with FIVE senses. 

  • Vision - Through your eyes, you feel relief. Whether it's an item you like, a movie you want to watch, or just looking at something you like. What I did mostly was looking at nature when I cycle on some trails.

  • Hearing - There are so many beautiful sounds you can hear. Music/radio/stand-up comedy/your loved one's voice... 

  • Smell - Do you remember what you feel when you smell breakfast in the early morning? Have you ever lit a candle when you read at night? Have you tried lotions with fragrance? For example, having some lavender lotion after shower before sleep could help me feel relieved after a busy day.

  • Taste - There is no doubt that food is healing, while except comfort food. Try some decent food or try a new restaurant when you feel bad. It may surprise you and empower you.

  • Touch - Pet your dog/cat. They are the cutest buddy that you can always feel happy with.


When I lie down on the floor, I use the sense of touch a lot. I could feel the temperature of the house and it made me feel present. Also, it gave me the confidence to continue my work. So by talking about my stress and how I handle them, I want to say that sometimes we just see difficulties/challenges as giant monsters while we are totally capable of doing it. The most important thing is that we have to prioritize ourselves, feel your feelings with your 5 senses, do something, and then gain the confidence to challenge it. 

Keep in mind the challenges that will change you in the end. Here is the magic brochure, I hope you all embark on a new journey at U-M. Go Blue!


Written by Tammy Wang

Summer Orientation Peer Advisor

Graduate Student

China


No comments:

Post a Comment