Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Culture Shock 101: How I Handled Life at U-M as an International Student

As a transfer international student who joined the University of Michigan in the middle of the academic year, trying to absorb all the conditions surrounding me during my first time, here was a challenge that I am always proud to say I overcame.

My first semester here was Winter 2022. I transferred from a university in the Middle East, which has a completely different educational system, social life, and college atmosphere. I had to stay in a dorm my first semester since I was not familiar with anything or anyone in Michigan. I found myself in Bursley Hall with freshmen everywhere. I was 21 years old at the time. Trying to adapt to waking up early to loud music or my roommate watching movies all night because he was only taking three easy courses and didn't have classes the next day was the worst part.

The culture shock started when I realized that everyone in my dorm and my classes had established their social circles, leaving me feeling isolated. Some categorized me as just someone filling a place in the dorm or as an international student who recently transferred and didn’t know anything, making me feel like an outcast in the classroom.

All the challenges I faced might be something you experience, but the question is how to overcome these challenges to become the best version of yourself at the University of Michigan. Here are some tips:

Prioritize Your Mental Health: Being an international student at UMich is a challenge because we often feel the need to prove ourselves. It’s okay to take a break from coursework and go for a walk, hit the gym, or try a new food place in downtown Ann Arbor.

Get Involved: The University of Michigan has plenty of student clubs and organizations you can join to find friends and a healthy community. Finding a group of people you feel comfortable with can be hard, so engaging in activities you enjoy can help you meet like-minded individuals. For example, if you like hiking, there’s the Michigan Backpacking Club. If you enjoy working out and need motivation, there’s the Michigan Powerlifting Club. Whatever your hobby, you’ll find a club or people who share your interests. If not, why not start one?

Be the Initiator: If no one asks you out, take the initiative and ask others out. During your first semester, it might feel awkward to introduce yourself and invite people to hang out, but this will help you overcome culture shock. If someone declines your invitation, don’t take it personally—move on to the next opportunity. Life is too short to dwell on one incident.

Despite my difficult first semester, it taught me many things about myself and the Umich community. I want all international students reading this to know that being here is a reward for all the great things you have done in your life. Being part of Umich means you are exceptional in your country, and your presence here adds value to both you and the Umich community. Even if your first semester is rough, remember that you are making your family proud by being here. Keep your head up and enjoy your time at Umich.

Written by Mohamed Elrayyes

Summer Orientation Peer Advisor

Graduate Student

Palestine


No comments:

Post a Comment