Friday, August 30, 2013

‘AS CHANGEABLE AS THE WEATHER'



Coming from a typical tropical climate with temperatures averaging 33 degrees Celsius and immediately entering the frosting cold of Ann Arbor, acclimatizing was a bit of a challenge. Nevertheless, I survived. Michigan and for that matter Ann Arbor is blessed with four seasons Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall/ Autumn, even though one chap said its basically cold for about 8 months.


Winter is basically winter, freezing cold temperatures coupled with snow. Walking from my apartment to my classroom was more of a punishment until I understood the concept of ‘layering’.This involves wearing the right fabric of clothing in layers- an underlayer, a first insulating layer, a second insulating layer and finally an outer layer. The insulation layer primarily keeps you warm by trapping warm air next to your body. Also you must layer up such that when you perspire, the layering can quickly transfer moisture to the outermost layer where it can evaporate. So it’s basically up to you to juggle between layers of socks, gloves, synthetic long underwear tops and bottoms, fleece clothing, jeans and jackets. I can vividly remember one Saturday, I was waiting for the AATA bus on Ellsworth road, and it started snowing. Unfortunately I hadn’t layered appropriately. My advice - please master the art of layering.

Spring is the beginning of happiness. It rains a bit, but the brief spells of sunshine offer a glimmer of hope. But don’t be deceived, it’s a bit windy which still gives you some chills. Also present are thunderstorms and a couple of tornado warnings. One thing I realized about spring was how quickly the weather changes. Even the weather application on my phone couldn’t keep up. One minute there’s a downpour, the next minute it’s blazing hot. Can’t the weather just make up its mind already, I thought. So the challenge here is dressing smart. Something casual but don’t forget to carry an umbrella and a jacket.

Summer is bliss. The sun is out with a cool breeze. I’ve yet to find someone who doesn’t enjoy summer.  Everyone is so joyful like children granted permission by their parents to play outside. There are a number of outdoor activities, reading and meeting people at restaurants, etc. I hope you can imagine the picture I’m trying to paint. Yes, the world is suddenly a perfect place.

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet experienced fall. But, hey, don’t be disappointed. I’m well informed that fall is short, somewhere between summer and winter temperatures and without rain. For those of you in tune with Mother Nature, it’s very colorful in Ann Arbor with all the vibrant red, yellow and turning leaves. But winter will come knocking at your door very soon.

Welcome to the University of Michigan!

Written By: Robert Lawson, UM Masters Student in Aerospace Engineering 

No comments:

Post a Comment