Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Getting Your House in Order: Featuring the Kiwanis’ Thrift Store in Downtown Ann Arbor

Being proactive about securing and settling into a new apartment/house is a very important aspect of adjusting to a new country.

You not only want to find reasonably-priced, well-maintained housing within easy access of the University but you want to furnish your apartment/house so that it is comfortable and aesthetically-pleasing. You want your home to be a place where you can relax after a long day of class and study.

One of the first things that I did after I completed my apartment search was to google furniture sources in Ann Arbor. I was able to find such places as American Freight, ArtVan, Target and Walmart but also, I found a little gem at 200 South First Street and Washington in downtown Ann Arbor. This was the Kiwanis’ Thrift Store.

In visiting the Kiwanis’ Thrift Store once I got to Ann Arbor, I saw that they had everything from furniture to lamps, to decorative paintings, second hand radios, telephones, computers, computer monitors, dishes, pots, pans, household appliances, table cloths and winter coats. These are just a sampling of the items that one could find there. What was also compelling is that while some of the pieces were modern, there were many items that one could not find in a regular store because they were of a different vintage – unique in design.

Having reviewed my options, I decided that such things as my desk, bed, and recliner I would buy new. For these items, I chose to shop at ArtVan at 425 E Eisenhower Pkwy just across from Briarwood Mall (accessible by #6 AATA bus). For my floor length mirror and storage boxes and baskets (to fit into an Ikea wall unit which I ordered online), I shopped at TJ Max, 2467 W Stadium Boulevard (accessible by #8 bus) and Target at 2000 W Waters Road (accessible by #16 bus).

However, when it came to finding inexpensive decorative pieces like pencil holders, lamps, and wall art, the Kiwanis’ Thrift store presented many good options. I found two unique bamboo pencil holders for just a dollar or two. Regarding the lamps, I was spoilt for choice. There were standing lamps, table lamps and desk lamps of every shape, description and color. I got a really unique one for just about $15.00. As for paintings, I was able to negotiate good prices and find both modern and vintage pieces of which there was a great number from which to select. Also, I was able to find frames for posters that I had brought with me from Barbados. In addition to these purchases, I sourced a decorative tray – ostensibly from South Asia, a CD player for just about $20.00, a regular sized Sony computer monitor in excellent condition for $25.00 and a small home telephone in great condition. Additionally, I found a barely used table cloth for my little dining table.

On the matter of second hand clothes, you can find winter coats – many of which are from high end brands. However, while the Kiwanis ask clothing donors to dry clean these items before donating to the store, you cannot always be sure that this has been done. Therefore, I would suggest washing or dry-cleaning clothes before wearing.


The Kiwanis’ Thrift sale is held every Saturday morning from 9 a.m. till noon and many people come at around 8.45 a.m. to get in early and shop in comfort before the later crowds come in. Wake up early and venture down South First Street alone or with a family member or new friend! The staff at Kiwanis are a bustling and busy bunch but they are friendly and willing to help you find what you need if they have it. Here are some of the things I found! Happy Shopping! 




Written By: Jennifer Pollard, Ph.D. Student in Higher Education 

No comments:

Post a Comment