Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Prepare for the Unpreparedness



This time last year, I was getting ready to leave China to pursue graduate study at the University of Michigan.  I felt fully prepared and optimistic about turning over a new leaf in my life. What happened to me next is worth sharing with the newcomers to help them prepare for unexpected events that might lie ahead. 


In order to make sure I had enough time to settle into my new life in America I bought plane tickets to arrive in the States a couple of weeks before the semester started. While embracing the excitement of a new beginning, I found myself waking up one morning unable to hear out of my right ear. It was a small cold that was caused by a combination of different factors, such as jet lag, lack of sleep, a change of environment and a new diet. If I was still in my home country I could easily get it taken care of. However, this time it was different, because I was in the United States and did not have medical insurance.

Unfortunately, the medical insurance provided by the school was not effective until the program start date on the I-20. I had to go to a couple of community clinics to get treated. Without prior experience and few people to consult I end up paying over 200 USD, including a visit to the emergency room. I also talked to some of my friends in the medical field in China, and none of them were able to give me a ready-made panacea. I never expected to miss the conveniences of China so much and I became more and more anxious every day. I was even considering to fly back home and seek treatment.
I took some over the counter medicines before I was able to be treated at the UHS (University Health Service). During my appointment I was relieved to hear that my temporary deafness was merely caused by a sinus infection. It was such a prudent decision to not fly back to get treated. 

Reflecting on what happened, here are a couple lessons I learned from this experience that I would like to share with incoming international students:

First and foremost, if you plan to come to the States a bit earlier, figure out a way to make sure you are covered medically, such as purchase travel insurance. This may also apply to your visiting friends and relatives. Seeing a doctor without medical insurance in the States is outrageously expensive. Sadly, I am not the only person who has had the misfortune of this situation. Most travel agencies or insurance companies, either from China or the United States, provide short-term overseas medical insurance coverage. Do not take things for granted and do not take unnecessary risks.

Be more proactive getting aid. People here are very nice and resourceful, but if you do not express what you need, they cannot help you. Reach out to school staff. With their rich experience and knowledge regarding the local system, they will be able to provide you with great advice. In my case, shortly after semester started, I met with my academic advisor, Corey Sampsel, and explained my situation. He was one of the most helpful staff I met at school. He was not only a fantastic listener, but also provided me advice regarding getting financial aid if I needed.

Lastly, reach out to International Center's Health Insurance office to see an insurance adviser, either during its walk-in hours or send an email to ihi@umich.edu.

Overall, living in the United States is very different from living in your home country. Being an international student, no matter how well you prepare yourself there will always be instances when things do not go as planned. Expect the unexpected. There are always more solutions than problems.

Written by Guiqiu Wang
International Center Summer Orientation Peer Adviser
Graduate Student from P.R. China
Ford School of Public Policy

2 comments: