Monday, December 3, 2018

“Loi Krathong”- Festival of Lights

Growing up in Thailand, I have always associated November with Loi Krathong, also known as Festival of Lights. This festival happens during the 12th month of the Thai Lunar calendar which often falls in November. Although this festival has an ancient religious background, it has captivated the attention of many people regardless of their origin or beliefs that many foreigners would visit Thailand for this festival.

Each year thousands of people gathered together to light the lanterns and floating krathongs. The krathongs are made of banana trunks, banana leaves, flowers, candles and incense sticks. There are many theories of why this practice originated, but the popular theory is related to the agricultural culture in Thailand. Since agriculture was crucial in people’s lives, rivers were also very important. Hence, these practices originated from the efforts to pay respect to the river goddess. It is also believed that people floated lanterns and krathongs to ask for forgiveness and let go of sins of the past year to prepare for a new year.

Personally, I have a vivid memory of this festival in relation to my high school proms. One of the proms I attended happened to be on the day people lit the lanterns. The prom was held in a room with large glass walls throughout the room. As I was dancing with other people, I saw the millions of lanterns glowing in the night sky through the glass walls. I remember being mesmerized by this experience. Although I now associate more with Thanksgiving during November, this festival will always take a special place in my heart.

Blog post by ICSC Member Yena Song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment