Friday, July 19, 2019

Discovering Yourself and Finding Happiness at Michigan

College life at Michigan is so unique and the perfect opportunity to explore yourself, who you think you are, and what will truly make you happy. Michigan offers so many opportunities to try new things, and there are so many ways to get out there and see what’s possible this coming semester! Just one of the many ways to get involved is by attending Festifall and Northfest right at the start of the year. There are hundreds of student orgs that are always looking for new members, from a capella groups to law fraternities to Game of Thrones watching clubs!

Image result for finding happiness

Now there is no doubt about it, studying at Michigan is hard. There are periods where you will be inside for weeks with your head fuzzy from caffeine-fueled study sessions until 3 a.m. and the endless assigned readings that keep piling up. The winters are cold, and at times you may feel down by the lack of excitement in your routine. It is so important to make sure you are doing something for yourself each week that brings you happiness and teaches you something about yourself. I myself have struggled at times, feeling down, lost, tired and cold, but what got me out of those times was doing activities for me that made me happy. Through these activities I have discovered new passions, new career opportunities and learn new skills.

A recent discovery of mine is doing yoga! There are so many yoga places in Ann Arbor that all offer a different experience. Yoga is a great activity that gets you active and can bring peace to your mind!

There are some amazing yoga studios in Ann Arbor, but a few of my favorites are:
  • Red Yoga uses therapeutic, infrared heat to help with your flexibility and detoxification. It’s also super dark during each session which adds to the atmosphere and allows you to really focus on your own practice!
  • AUM Yoga Ann Arbor has been voted best Yoga Studio in Ann Arbor the past four years and offers some unique sessions such as Aerial Yoga and my personal favorite, Chakra Yoga.
  • If you’re looking for variety in styles and instructors, Tiny Buddha Yoga may be the studio for you. It also offers some of the most challenging Hot Vinyasa sessions I’ve ever been to, so if you’re someone who enjoys pushing yourself, go along to a session at Tiny Buddha Yoga!


Another activity I love is fostering animals! I miss my pets at home a lot and animals are something that have always made me happy. I wanted to be able to have animals in my life without the commitment of owning one, and this is a perfect option with the schedule that I have during school time and gives me my dosage of animals before I go home to my pets in Australia. I foster cats, dogs, kittens and puppies and each animal are so different are bring new joy to my life. I volunteer at the Humane Society of Huron Valley and also foster for Baby Bottle Rescue just outside of Ann Arbor.


Both of these organisations are great activities that take my mind off school and bring me a lot of happiness. If fostering is not for you but you also enjoy animals, there is a cat café by the Humane Society of Huron Valley called Tiny Lions Cat Café.  It offers a great space to study and play with some cats that you can also choose to adopt later on! If you’re looking for a quick fix of cuteness, you can also visit Hawkeye the Wellness Dog at UHS.

There are so many different activities at Michigan and around Ann Arbor that can give you an outlet and add some happiness to your life. Your time at Michigan will fly by so get out there and enjoy what there is offered all around town, try something new, and learn something about yourself. It could be taking a fun class, joining an intramural (IM) sport, visiting all the amazing restaurants in Ann Arbor, joining a club, or reaching out to the community. Whatever you like you will be able to find it in Ann Arbor. Don’t be afraid to try different things this semester and have some fun!

Written by Bec Joyce
Summer Orientation Peer Advisor
Undergraduate Student
Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment