Thursday, August 13, 2020

How I Got an On-Campus Job at the University of Michigan

    After a semester at the University of Michigan, I felt like I settled down. I finally got used to being in a new environment. I checked off most of the goals I had for my first year at college: take interesting classes, join student organizations, make friends from different countries, and try out new activities. However, I felt like I could be doing something more. That is when I realized that I could find a job on campus and start my work experience.

Submit Your Resume , Png Download - Cartoon Resume Png ...

    The first thing I did to begin my journey of finding a job was writing a resume. I’ve never actually worked before coming to college, so the only items I could talk about were extracurricular activities. I started to jot down a list of clubs I were a part of during high school. Then, I elaborated on how I contributed to the club and if I had any leadership positions. After writing a draft of my resume, I took it to a resume workshop hosted by the University Career Center. The room was filled with students trying to strengthen their resume and advisors who went around giving feedback. There were sample resumes and instructions spread around the table for the students to see. From this workshop, I learned how to order the various parts of my resume and how to write better bullet points. Back home, I solidified my resume by making sure my bullet points had ‘action,’ ‘context,’ and ‘result.’ 

    The next step I took was applying for jobs. I logged into the Student Employment Office website and searched for non-work study jobs. Deciding on the type of work and number of hours I wanted to perform helped me narrow down my search. Some jobs had requirements and qualifications that I couldn’t meet. I applied to about five jobs through the website, by answering a questionnaire about my skillset and attaching my resume. 


    After a few days, I received an email that offered me an interview. The employer gave me a few time options and materials that would help me prepare for the interview. A Google calendar invite was sent after we agreed on a time and place. During the interview, I was asked about my skillset, personality, and hardships that I experienced. I kept eye-contact and shared my stories honestly. I also asked questions about specific projects I would be responsible for and colleagues I would be working with. After the interview, I received an email regarding the last step of the hiring process, which was to send in a piece of design work that best represented my skills. I sent in something I created when I was a part of the Yearbook team and described the difficulties I overcame while making it. 


    My journey of searching for a job ended with an offer email in my inbox. With that, my on-campus job as a Marketing Manager at M-Lead began. My hours waver depending on the project I am working on each week. I get to see my work being showcased on our Instagram account and monthly newsletter. Our team has four people who have unique responsibilities. Having this job made me feel like I was making the most out of my college experience. I checked off another item on my list and that item has been helping me grow into a professional.


Written by Jasmine Kim

Summer Orientation Peer Advisor

Undergraduate Student

South Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment