Monday, August 10, 2020

Experience of Overcoming Culture Differences in the Classroom

 I can still remember my first class at umich, having a lecture taught in my second language and struggling with whether I should raise my hand to participate in the discussion. The situation stayed terrible in the following weeks, especially when I tried to finish all the readings on time and complete a presentation with group members. So, what should I do to jump out of this vicious cycle?

  1. Calm down and figure out problems

It is quite common to experience frustration when students are in a new academic environment. Therefore, I just kept telling myself to calm down and try to be more positive. Instead of panicking, it will be helpful to initially figure out all the differences and difficulties. I found the top three problems for me can be reading overload, fear of discussion, and public presentations. 

  1. Reach out for help if you need it

In my story, I really appreciated the classmates who listened to my confusion and gave me the power to face these difficulties. I can still remember the story my classmate shared with me about her master's study experience in Europe, where she met quite a lot of cultural shock. Apart from classmates and friends, we can also consult our advisors or professors. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) also provides counseling support for students. Thus, I highly recommend you reach out for further help and tips when you feel trapped. 

  1. Set small goals

To take the first step, we may just set several small goals for each difficulty. I planned to divide the readings into everyday tasks to avoid overloading. Meanwhile, I set up the goal of answering at least one question per class to overcome my fear of speaking in public. When it comes to presentations, I just practiced several times in advance and asked my members to give me some suggestions. Besides, I attended several workshops organized by the International Center or English Language Institute (ELI) to practice with other non-native speakers.

  1. Follow the timetable you planned

A well-organized plan needs strong execution. As long as you take the first step and complete the first week’s schedule, everything will go much smoother. I faced the same situation as well, raising my hand hesitantly, answering questions in a low voice, and sometimes maybe making no sense. However, it is a sign of your first success! Please just insist on finishing your plans.

  1. Be confident and take the risk

Last but not least, we need to be confident and try to take the risks that our trials bring to us. No pain no gain, and trust yourself. Although during the first semester I struggled a lot with the cultural differences in the classroom, especially when I faced peer pressure. I just followed the above steps and became a more confident international student today.


How to take calculated risks in sales and achieve success?


To transmit this power to you, I shared my experience here and hope you can take less time to overcome these difficulties.


Written by Yajie (Tina) Wang

Summer Orientation Peer Advisor

Graduate Student

China

No comments:

Post a Comment