Monday, August 10, 2020

Setting Goals and Managing Expectations when you Study in the U.S.

 "I want to pursue a master's degree in the U.S."

"What else? Give me other solid reasons. If it’s just for a master's degree, you can also get one in China." 

    Are you familiar with this kind of conversation? I believe that most of you as international students must have experienced it before you decide to study abroad. So, why are you studying abroad? Did you want to pursue a degree? Enrich your life experience? See more of the world? Get a decent job after graduation? Immigrate to the U.S. if possible? Or even change the world?

    For most of us, this will be our first time studying abroad. Take me as an example, I haven't even left my country before. It was so hard for me to have a brief picture of how life is going to be like here in AA. With a "big" ambition and fearless bravery, I started my graduate school with a packed calendar of courses, events, and seminars. 4 major courses, countless meetings and social events, seminars of interesting topics from different schools. My thought at that moment was that everything would go smoothly and I would be great both in my academic life and my personal life. Did I achieve my goals? NO, not at all. I was totally lost. Even if I felt busy every day and there were so many moments of inspiration, new ideas and findings on my social media accounts every day. I was so lost.

    That is exactly what I experienced in my first term. From what I want to say is that being realistic is very important, knowing your ability, and finding your limitations as well. There is no doubt that study abroad is a big investment in ourselves. We should do everything we can to get the most out of our program. The priority to do it is finding your own pace, otherwise, it will become a disaster.

Pin on drawing

    How do we set goals? Step by Step. First, know your reason for studying abroad. What you want to acquire from it. Then, think about your academic goals, reaching out to your academic advisor and your program alumni. Try to develop a deeper understanding of something in your field when you graduate. Moreover, consider your future career in advance by reaching out to Career Centers and/or attend career fairs. Studying abroad is also a great experience to help you develop transferable skills such as cross-cultural communication, adaptability, problem-solving and etc. Do not forget it, you already made a step forward by making the decision to study in the U.S. Last but not least, see more of the world, immerse yourself in the U.S. You're here not only to study at the school but also to see the whole city, state, and country. Jump out of your comfort zone and engage more with the locals. We know that our time is limited and it will fly-by. I am not asking you to know every corner of AA or the U.S. While setting small goals like trying a new restaurant every week or going to a local event. You will find more interests and feel more included with this community then.

    Back to the previous question, can you change the world? Of course, you can!! You can totally change your own world by studying abroad. Try not to push yourself too hard, write your goals in a period of time such as weekly/monthly, revisit them often. You will make a difference!

Written by Tammy Wang

Summer Orientation Peer Advisor

Graduate Student

China


No comments:

Post a Comment