The Ultimate Weekend Getaways from Ann Arbor by Mohammad Ali
The Ultimate Weekend Getaways from Ann Arbor
By: Mohammad Ali
Summer Orientation Peer Advisor
Graduate Student
Bangladesh
One of the best parts of being a student at the University of Michigan is having so many great places to explore within a weekend. When I first arrived in Ann Arbor, I mostly stayed around campus because everything was new to me. As time went on, I realized that some of my favorite memories came from weekend trips with friends. Whether you’re looking for a big city, a relaxing lakeside escape, or a unique small town, there are plenty of great destinations just a few hours away.
Mackinac Island
This summer, I visited Mackinac Island for the first time, and it quickly became one of my favorite places in Michigan. Since cars are not allowed on the island, everything feels peaceful and unique. My friends and I rented bicycles and rode around the entire island, which took us about two hours. Along the way, we stopped several times to enjoy the incredible views of Lake Huron. We also took a horse-drawn carriage ride, which made the experience even more memorable. If you’re looking for a relaxing weekend surrounded by nature, Mackinac Island is definitely worth the trip.
(Picture taken by me)
Downtown Detroit
Detroit is probably the place I’ve visited the most since moving to Ann Arbor because it’s less than an hour away. Every time I go, I find something different to do. One of my favorite places is the Detroit Riverwalk, where you can enjoy beautiful views of the Detroit River, especially around sunset. Belle Isle is another place I highly recommend. Last summer, my friends and I had a barbecue there, and it turned into one of my favorite summer memories. After eating, we spent the afternoon walking around the island and enjoying the scenery. It’s the perfect getaway when you don’t want to spend hours driving.
(Picture taken by me)
Traverse City
Traverse City is another destination I highly recommend, especially during the summer. The city has a relaxed atmosphere with beautiful beaches, crystal-clear water, great local restaurants, and scenic lakeside views. Just a short drive away is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, where standing on the massive sand dunes almost feels like exploring a desert. Walking across the dunes is more challenging than it looks, but the breathtaking views make it well worth the effort.
(Picture taken from internet)
Frankenmuth
If you’re looking for something completely different, Frankenmuth is a fun weekend trip. I visited last summer and loved the town’s unique Bavarian-style architecture. My favorite stop was Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, the world’s largest Christmas store. Even though it was summer, the store was decorated for Christmas, making it feel like the holiday season all year round. Walking around downtown, trying local food, and exploring the shops made it a very enjoyable day trip.
(Picture taken by me)
Chicago
Earlier this year, I visited Chicago, and it absolutely lived up to my expectations. We spent time at Navy Pier, walked along the Lake Michigan lakefront, and took a sightseeing cruise on Lake Michigan. Seeing Chicago’s skyline from the water was easily the highlight of the trip. Chicago has a completely different atmosphere from Ann Arbor, and even though we were only there for a weekend, we managed to experience many of its iconic attractions.
(Picture taken by me)
If you’re new to Ann Arbor, don’t hesitate to explore beyond campus whenever you have the chance. You might discover your own favorite destination and create memories that will stay with you long after graduation.
Comments
Post a Comment