What I Wish I Had Known Before My First Semester at U-M by Jennie Zhang

 What I Wish I Had Known Before My First Semester at U-M 

By Jennie Zhang

Summer Orientation Peer Advisor
Graduate Student
Country of Origin: China 


When I first arrived at the University of Michigan, I thought I needed to get familiar with everything as quickly as possible: the campus environment, course requirements, academic planning, the pace of study, and all the university resources. Looking back now, I wish my past self had realized that adjusting to college life isn’t a race. Here are my five pieces of advice for freshmen:

  1. You don't have to figure everything out right away, but there are some things you can prepare for in advance.

When you first arrive in the U.S. or at U-M, it’s totally normal to feel unfamiliar with your new surroundings, the campus, your course schedule, and classroom culture. Some students may seem to adjust to a new environment quickly, but everyone’s experience and pace of adjustment are different. Rather than constantly comparing yourself to others, it’s more important to give yourself some time to find a study space you like, establish daily routines that work for you, or gain more confidence in your studies. 

However, there are some specific things it’s best to figure out in advance. For example, the University of Michigan campus is larger than it appears on a map. We generally divide the campus into the Central and North campuses, but each campus area is quite large. Where you have classes depends on which school your major’s courses are affiliated with. So, before classes officially begin, it’s a good idea to check your commute route and classroom locations in advance. Walk the route yourself and find the exact locations of your classrooms. This will help you avoid the stress of not being able to find your classroom on the first day due to unexpected situations, such as a bus being late or a route being canceled.


You also don’t need to attend every event or join every student organization that looks interesting. There may be a lot of activities and information at the start of the semester, but participating in more doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll adjust better. It’s equally reasonable to choose activities that genuinely interest you and set aside time for rest and managing your daily life, such as assembling furniture, shopping at the grocery store, opening a bank account, and organizing your clothes.



  1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, and don’t wait until small problems turn into stress

I used to worry that my questions were too simple or that I didn’t know how to phrase them, so I would put off asking for help. But I later realized that asking questions proactively is usually more effective than worrying and fretting about them on your own.

If you don’t understand the assignment instructions, contact the course instructor or teaching assistant; if you have questions about course selection, your academic plan, or your schedule, consult an academic advisor; if you’re unsure which department to contact, you can also start by asking a classmate, an Orientation Peer Advisor, or the Student Support Office.

Don’t stay silent out of fear that you’re asking an “obvious” question. Anything unclear to you is worth clarifying. The campus’s extensive resources exist precisely to help students resolve their issues more smoothly.

  1.  Classes are only part of your schedule.

Course schedules typically show only class times, but they do not account for the time needed for pre-class preparation, reading, completing assignments, participating in group discussions, reviewing material after class, commuting, eating, and resting. It’s easy to overlook these time commitments when selecting courses.

Therefore, don’t set your expectations too high from the start, or enroll in too many credits and courses just to finish your studies quickly. You can check your school or program’s Credit Hour Policy in advance to understand the requirements and recommendations regarding course load and credit allocation. Then, plan your courses reasonably based on your own study habits and actual circumstances. Again, remember not to compare yourself to others, and don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Leaving some wiggle room when selecting courses doesn’t mean you’re not working hard enough. You may need time to adjust to a new culture and environment, get familiar with the campus, adapt to new teaching styles and assignment formats, handle daily life tasks, make new friends, and gradually find a rhythm that works for you. If your schedule is too packed, even if each course seems manageable on its own, the cumulative workload might leave you without enough time to handle unexpected tasks or take care of your well-being.

Don’t pack every day to the fullest. When planning your schedule, don’t just jot down class times and assignment deadlines. Set aside time for class preparation, daily tasks, commuting, campus activities, and rest. You can use an online calendar, a paper planner, or a to-do list. No matter which tool you use, the important thing is to find a way that works for you.

  1. Check your email and Canvas, but develop your own system for managing them

In the United States, email is a very common communication tool. School notifications, course information, event invitations, and appointment confirmations are often sent via email, and Canvas also posts course announcements and deadlines. Faced with a large volume of information, we don’t need to read every email thoroughly right away. Instead, we can establish a system to distinguish between what needs immediate attention and what can be reviewed later.

For me, it’s very helpful to separate my email accounts by purpose. I use my personal email for personal matters, my school email for coursework and campus affairs. You might also consider setting up a separate work email for professional social media platforms and job applications.

I also recommend using the email labeling feature. For example, I use the “To Read or To Do” label to save emails that I don’t have time to read right now but aren’t urgent. I use the “Resource Collection” label to save emails containing important links, payment receipts, or useful information; the “Urgent” label to mark items that need to be handled as soon as possible; and the “Important” label to save appointment details, report ticket numbers, or records I might need to look up later, such as I-20 updates. Using labels means you don’t have to read through every email in detail and respond immediately. Instead, after a quick and brief review, you can prioritize tasks, which helps you quickly locate the emails that need attention.

Email management doesn’t require perfect categorization, and some emails may fall into multiple categories. I even consciously add multiple labels to a single email, which makes it easier and faster for me to find it later.

Also, when I see an important date or task in an email or on Canvas, I immediately add it to Google Calendar instead of relying on my memory. Keeping course deadlines, meeting times, and tasks all in one calendar reduces the stress of constantly checking different platforms and the risk of forgetting things. Everyone can develop the management approach that works best for them based on their own habits.

(Picture from Unsplash Link)


Last but not least, your first semester might not go exactly as you imagined, but that’s okay. Give yourself some time to adjust, ask questions, and tweak your plans. Check the locations of your classrooms in advance, prioritize the activities that really matter, and develop time-management and information-organization strategies that work for you. These seemingly small habits can make your first semester much easier. Finally, feel free to use all the resources available on campus. They’re there to support and help students.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Furniture Shopping

Adjusting to a New Cultural Environment

Study Spaces I Love (and When to Use Them) by Aurora Bi