What I wish I packed from home (and What I should have left)
By: Gaukhar Zhubanova
Summer Orientation Peer Advisor
Graduate Student
Kazakhstan
A few days before moving to Michigan, my room was a mess. I had things everywhere and kept going back and forth about what I should actually take with me. I remember thinking, “What if I forget something important?”. Now that I’ve been an international student at the University of Michigan for a year, I can see that I probably worried about packing a little too much. There are definitely some things I’m glad I brought, and a few things I could have easily left at home.
What I’m glad I packed
My winter coat. I remember wishing I had packed it the first time the temperature dropped. I already had a good winter coat at home, but I decided not to pack it because it took up too much space in my suitcase. I definitely regretted that later. A good winter coat can be expensive, but finding another one that is warm, comfortable, and actually fits your style can also take some time. If you already have a winter coat that you really like and know works well for cold weather, I would make room for it.
My usual cosmetics, personal care products, and medications. As someone who enjoys skincare and makeup, I was really glad I brought the products I was already used to. Some cosmetics and personal care products are cheaper in my home country, but that was not the only reason. There were also some products, brands, and medications I regularly used at home that I could not easily find in the United States. Having familiar things with me made settling in a little easier.
Snacks from home. I brought a few sweets from Kazakhstan, mostly to share with friends. It turned out to be a really easy way to introduce people to a small part of my culture. You definitely don’t need to bring a suitcase full of food, but a few favorite snacks can be worth the space. Seeing my friends try chocolate from Kazakhstan for the first time was one of my favorite moments.
What I would leave behind
Too many formal clothes. Back home, I was used to dressing more formally for classes and work. At the University of Michigan, I quickly noticed that everyday campus style is much more casual. Hoodies, jeans, and sneakers are everywhere. Of course, everyone has their own style, so wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. But if I were packing again, I would bring fewer formal outfits and more comfortable clothes for everyday life.
Too many pairs of shoes. I packed shoes for almost every possible occasion, but I ended up wearing the same few pairs most of the time. If I were packing again, I would focus on a few basics: comfortable sneakers for everyday life, a pair for sports or workouts, and good winter shoes or boots. Other than that, I would wait until I arrived. There are plenty of affordable, good-quality shoes in the United States, so you don’t need to use half of your suitcase for them.
Too many notebooks and school supplies. I brought more than I needed because I thought I would use them for classes. In reality, I often took notes on my laptop. And when I did need something, it was easy to find affordable school supplies in Ann Arbor, including stores like Dollar Tree.
My biggest lesson? You don’t need to fit your whole life into two suitcases. Bring the things that are important to you, hard to replace, or simply make your life easier. For everything else, you can figure it out after you arrive. Moving to a new country already comes with enough new experiences. Your suitcase doesn’t have to be perfect either.



Comments
Post a Comment