What's in My Phone? Apps Every U-M Student Should Download by Bhuvaneshwari Y Killadi

 

What's in My Phone? Apps Every U-M Student Should Download

By: Bhuvaneshwari Y Killadi
Summer Orientation Peer Advisor
Graduate Student
India

Before I came to the University of Michigan, I watched so many "college essentials" videos trying to figure out what apps I needed. I ended up downloading way more than I actually used. After my first year here, I can confidently say that there are only a handful of apps that I use all the time. Whether it's getting to class, finding food, checking assignments, or printing something five minutes before a deadline, these apps have made student life so much easier.

If you're an incoming student, here's what's in my phone!

Google Maps

This is probably my most used app. Even after a year at Michigan, I still open Google Maps almost every day. Whether I'm trying to find a classroom in a building I've never been to, looking for a coffee shop to study at, finding the nearest grocery store, or exploring Ann Arbor with friends, Google Maps is always the first app I reach for. During your first few weeks, don't be surprised if you use it multiple times a day. We've all been there!



MagicBus

Coming in at a very close second is MagicBus. A little confession... I still don't know how to drive (hopefully someday), so buses are my main mode of transportation. MagicBus lets you see where every University of Michigan bus is in real time, so you know exactly when to leave instead of waiting outside. It has honestly saved me so many times, especially during Michigan winters. If you're living on North Campus or commuting between North and Central Campus, you'll probably end up using it just as much as I do.
Where:

  • iOS links to the Apple App Store.

  • Android links to the Google Play Store.

Michigan App

The Michigan App is basically your all in one campus app. It gives you access to your digital Mcard, campus maps, dining information, university events, and several other campus resources. Whenever I need something related to U-M but don't know where to find it, this is usually where I start.

Canvas Student

Almost every class uses Canvas.

You'll find assignments, announcements, lecture slides, quizzes, grades, and pretty much everything related to your courses here. I definitely recommend turning on notifications because professors sometimes post important announcements that are easy to miss.
Where:

  • iOS links to the Apple App Store.

  • Android links to the Google Play Store.

Okta Verify

This isn't the most exciting app on your phone, but it's definitely one of the most important. You'll need it whenever you log into many University of Michigan websites. After a few days, using it will become second nature.
Where:

  • iOS links to the Apple App Store.

  • Android links to the Google Play Store.

Gmail

Your University of Michigan email will quickly become your main inbox. Professors, Graduate Student Instructors, departments, student organizations, campus employers, and the International Center all communicate through your university email. 

My biggest tip? Check it every day. Some really great opportunities start with a single email.

Transit

MagicBus is perfect for University of Michigan buses, but if you're planning to explore Ann Arbor, you'll want Transit too. Transit works with TheRide, Ann Arbor's public bus system, making it easy to get to grocery stores, shopping centers, restaurants, and other places around the city.

Uber & Lyft

Even if you don't think you'll use them often, I'd still download both Uber and Lyft. They're really useful for airport trips, late nights, or when public transportation isn't the best option. I usually compare prices before booking because sometimes one app is much cheaper than the other. As a U-M student, you can also take advantage of the Lyft Night Owl program, which offers discounted rides during eligible late night hours, making it a great option for getting home safely.

TransLoc

This isn't an app I open every day, but I'm always glad I already have it installed. Some university transportation services use TransLoc, so it's nice to have it ready if you ever need it.

Slack

If you join a research lab, work an on campus job, or become involved in student organizations, there's a good chance you'll end up using Slack. I check it every day to stay updated with messages, announcements, and project discussions.

MPrint

This app doesn't seem important until the day you suddenly need to print something right before class. Setting up MPrint only takes a few minutes, and it makes printing on campus incredibly easy. Trust me, your future self will thank you.

Too Good To Go & Snackpass

These are probably my favorite food apps.

Too Good To Go lets restaurants and cafés sell extra food at discounted prices instead of throwing it away. It's affordable, helps reduce food waste, and it's always a fun surprise to see what you get. Here are IOS and Android links

Snackpass is another great app because several popular restaurants around Ann Arbor use it for ordering ahead and earning rewards. It's perfect when you're rushing between classes. Here are IOS and Android links

Besides these other food apps which i like are UberEats, DoorDash, Sweetwaters and Weee! (for asian food groceries).


 


Final Thoughts

Everyone's phone will end up looking a little different, and you'll probably discover your own favorite apps during your time here. But these are the ones that have earned a permanent spot on my home screen because they've genuinely made my life at Michigan easier.

My advice is simple: download the essentials before classes begin. It'll save you time during those busy first few weeks, and you'll be able to focus on settling in, meeting new people, and enjoying everything Michigan has to offer.

I hope this helps make your transition a little smoother.

Welcome to Michigan, and Go Blue! 💙


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Furniture Shopping

Adjusting to a New Cultural Environment

Study Spaces I Love (and When to Use Them) by Aurora Bi