Where to Work Out: A Guide to the University of Michigan's Campus Gyms by Tai Yang
Where to Work Out
A Guide to the University of Michigan's Campus Gyms by Tai Yang
Why the Gym Mattered to Me
When I began my doctoral program at the University of Michigan, I also started building a more systematic workout routine. Over time, the gym became more than a place to exercise. It gave structure to my days, helped me find a better balance between research and life outside school, and encouraged me to pay more attention to my diet and sleep. For international students adjusting to a new academic environment, I think this kind of routine can be especially valuable.
Hadley: My New Go-To Gym
Before the Hadley Family Recreation & Well-Being Center opened, I often worked out at the temporary recreation facility at Palmer Field because it was the closest option to my department. Now, Hadley has become my first choice on Central Campus.
Hadley opened in June 2026 and is now the largest recreation facility on campus. The first thing that caught my attention was the climbing wall. It stands in the center of the building and stretches through all levels, making it feel like the visual heart of the facility. I had never seen anything quite like it in a campus gym.
Figure 1. Hadley Family Recreation & Well-Being Center on Central Campus, opened in June 2026.
Image source: University of Michigan Digital Asset Collaborative.
I was also impressed by the amount and variety of equipment for both strength training and cardio. Beyond these workout areas, the building offers an indoor track, pools, sports courts, exercise studios, and a turf court. Hadley even has treadmill desks—walking treadmills paired with work surfaces where students can use their laptops while moving. I found this combination of fitness and student life both practical and a little amusing: at Michigan, apparently even a workout can become study time. In fact, I wrote this entire blog post while walking on one.
Choosing Between the Other Two Gyms
Although Hadley is my new go-to gym, the best campus gym for you may depend on where you spend most of your day. The Intramural Sports Building, located on East Hoover Avenue, has plenty of strength and cardio equipment, along with several courts. The North Campus Recreation Building is especially convenient for students who live or take classes on North Campus. It also has a swimming pool and an indoor running track. All three facilities have different strengths, so convenience may matter more than choosing the "best" one.
Your Gym Access Is Already Included
One useful fact for new students is that enrolled Ann Arbor students do not need to purchase a separate gym membership. Bring your University of Michigan identification card, commonly called an Mcard, when you visit. Facility hours and available spaces can change during university breaks, maintenance periods, and special events, so I recommend checking Michigan Recreation's current hours before leaving home.
Getting Started: My Tips
For students who are new to exercise or want more structured guidance, personal training is another option. I usually book six to twelve individual sessions each semester. My trainer has helped me improve my technique, understand different exercises, and plan my workouts more effectively. Michigan Recreation also offers discounted student rates for fitness assessments and personal-training session packages.
My biggest advice is simple: start with a short workout and give yourself time to explore. You do not need to understand every machine or arrive with a perfect plan. Bring your Mcard, check the hours, and walk in. Hadley may feel almost like a high-end wellness center, but it is still a campus space made for students, including complete beginners.
Comments
Post a Comment